This is a slight repeat of a post on my old tumblr blog but as lots of people have been asking me about it I though I would repost 🙂
(Above: iPhone screenshots of Pokemon Yellow / Crystal on Gameboy Colour Emulator)
Want to rediscover the golden age of gaming, 8-bit graphics and polyphonic sounds? Well here’s how you can do all that and more on your iPhone!
First things first – you need to jailbreak your iPhone. This can be done simply, quickly and for free using the Evasi0n software. Download here. I used this software with no problems whatsoever, my iPhone rebooted as normal, with no loss of data or any need to re-input settings.
The folks at iClarifed have made a handy step-by-step guide should any confusion occur. Click here for the instruction with pictures! Essentially the Evaisi0n jailbreak software opens up whole new horizons for your iPhone making it much more customisable. Even better after installing Evaisi0n it automatically reboots with the Cydia app installed. Cydia is like an alternative app store however it comes with all the apps Apple would not authorise for use in it’s own app store.
After you have completed the jailbreaking process Cydia will appear in your apps and you are ready to install your Gameboy Colour for iPhone!
So now for the Gameboy Colour emulators!
1. Launch Cydia from your apps
2. There are several emulators, I like GBC AD + the best. (gb4iphone is also good)
3. Search for GBC AD + in Cydia’s search function then hit ‘install’
4. After the installation has finished it will appear in you Apps list
5. Both ‘gb4iphone’ and ‘GBC AD +’ have inbuilt search facilities for Gameboy Colour Games.
6. Simply use the ‘find game’ facility within the apps and search for ‘Pokemon Crystal’ or ‘Donkey Kong’ or ‘Super Mario Kart’, the possibilities are endless….
7. This ‘find game’ facility will usually take you to a third party site where you can click on the games you would like, select download and within a few seconds the files will be stored in a list within the gameboy emulator app.
8. After you have downloaded a couple of things you like, all thats left to do is to find them in your ‘games’ list in your gameboy app and tap them to launch!
N.B. You can adjust settings within the gameboy apps, for example in ’GBC AD +’ I like to choose the orientation as ‘Port 2’ (as you get the biggest screen size whilst still retaining the original controls) and here you can also toggle the sounds, cheats and other bits and bobs.
Happy Gaming! Enjoy the warm sense of nostalgia when the Pokemon Yellow theme tune fires up and Prof. Oak gives you your very first Pokemon……. Pika *^_^* Chuuuuuuuu
(Any questions, comments, suggestions, or other iPhone hacks, please feel free to comment and submit!)