Want to play your old Nintendo games on your iPhone? Here’s how!
So you are in Paris, and have spent one too many evenings shrouded in cigarette smoke indulging in wine and cheese and you think “Hey! What else can I do with my evenings?” Well here’s what – rediscover the golden age of gaming, 8-bit graphics and polyphonic sounds – but now on your iPhone – what could be better?
Thanks to my good friends Amanda, Grace and Imre and the discovery of our mutual love of Pokemon (and finding an old Gameboy Colour at a Paris flea market) I decided to re-ignite the fire.
OK – so here’s how to get all the Pokemon games, and any other Nintendo games that you want on your iPhone!
First things first – you need to jailbreak your iPhone. This can be done simply, quickly and for free using the Evasi0n software. Download here. I used this software with no problems whatsoever, my iPhone rebooted as normal, with no loss of data or any need to redo settings.
The folks at iClarifed have made a handy step-by-step guide should any confusion occur. Click here for the instruction with pictures! Essentially the Evaisi0n jailbreak software opens up whole new horizons for your iPhone making it much more customisable, even better after installing Evaisi0n it automatically reboots with the Cydia app installed. Cydia is like an alternative app store however it comes with all the apps Apple would not authorise for use in it’s own app store.
After you have completed the jailbreaking process Cydia will appear in your apps and you are ready to go and get installing your Gameboy Colour for iPhone!
So now for the Gameboy Colour emulators!
1. Launch Cydia from your apps
2. There are several emulators however I like ‘gb4iphone’ and ‘GBC AD +’ the best
3. Search for them in Cydia’s search function then hit ‘install’
4. After the installation has finished they will appear in you Apps list
5. Both ‘gb4iphone’ and ‘GBC AD +’ have inbuilt search facilites for Gameboy Colour Games.
6. SImply use the ‘find game’ facility within the apps and search for ‘Pokemon Crystal’ or ‘Donkey Kong’ or ‘Super Mario Kart’, the possibilites are endless….
7. This ‘find game’ facility will usually take you to a third party site where you can click on the games you would like, select download and within a few seconds the files will be stored in a list within the gameboy emulator app.
8. After you have downloaded a couple of things you like, all thats left to do is to find them in your ‘games’ list in your gameboy app and tap them to launch!
9. You can adjust settings within the gameboy apps, for example in ’GBC AD +’ I like to choose the orientation as ‘Port 2’ (as you get the biggest screen size whilst stil retaining the original controls) and here you can also toggle the sounds, cheats and other bits and bobs.
Happy Gaming! Enjoy the warm sense of nostalgia when the Pokemon Yellow theme tune fires up and Prof. Oak gives you your very first Pokemon……. Pika *^_^* Chuuuuuuuu
(Any questions, comments, suggestions, or other iphone hacks, please feel free to submit!)